Thursday, March 6, 2014

Honey Whole Wheat Oatmeal Loaf with Blueberry Chia Jam Recipe

It is really hard for me to find bread that is multigrain or whole wheat that doesn't contain flax. Unfortunately 10 years ago, I discovered I was allergic to flax seeds. And there ended my dreams of benefitting from this super food. Now, flax seeds is added to a lot of foods especially breads. Well, I thought, I have a good mixer and I can bake so why not try my hand at an oatmeal loaf. This recipe is all about the process. Just like my other loaf recipe, it needs the second rise so that the bread is airy.
I ate this with my homemade blueberry chia jam. Recipe is added at the bottom.



Whole Wheat Oatmeal Loaf Recipe

Ingredients
3 cups flour blend (1 whole wheat and 2 oat flour or vise versa)
1 1/4 warm water
3/4 tsp yeast
1/4 honey
1/4 oil
2 tbsp. hemp hearts
1 tsp salt

Directions
1)Mix warm water, honey, yeast and 1 cup of flour in a mixing bowl.
2)Let stand for 10 minutes until yeast is activated
3)Use dough hook and add rest of ingredients into bowl. I added the flour a little at a time and watch and see the consistency. You might need to add less or more flour depending on your dough. When the dough separates from the bowl it is done. Place in a nice warm place for 1 hr.
4)When hour is done, punch down the dough and shape into a loaf or buns. Leave dough for 2 hours more.
5)Pre heat oven to 350 degrees. If you want, brush top of bread with a little milk and sprinkle some oatmeal.
6)Bake for 18-22 minutes. Rotate half way though. If you make a large loaf you might have to keep in the oven longer. But smaller buns, cut the time by 5 minutes.



Enjoy with some blueberry chia jam.

Blueberry Chia Jam Recipe

Ingredients
1 cup blueberries
2 tbsp. chia seeds
2 tbsp. honey
1/4 water

Directions
1)Combine all ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for another 10 minutes.
2)Mash the blueberries and remove from heat.
3)Let cool before placing in a glass jar. Jam will thicken.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Inspired Life. The homemade foodie. The book junkie. The frugal momma.

Search This Blog

Blog Archive