Monday, March 24, 2014

Overnight Gingerbread Oat Waffles Recipe

Finally getting around to posting the recipe for these amazing waffles. I wanted to have the batter ready so I looked up recipes for overnight waffles. I thought of adding pumpkin spice which is just (ground nutmeg+allspice+cinnamon+ginger) to the mix to make it taste like gingerbread cookies. Next time I will try adding molasses to the mix. I personally like adding whole wheat flour because the kids don't like the consistency of just oat flour waffles. I find they don't eat as much. Plus I find it dense and I wasn't sure if it would rise if I just used oat flour. So I did half oat flour and half whole wheat flour. Oat flour is basically ground oats. I make my own by grinding it in the coffee grinder. So much cheaper. Chocolate dipped fruits are optional but kids love fancy breakfasts. These waffles are crispy on the outside and soft in the middle. The original recipe I saw had 1/2 cup of butter but I switched it to greek yogurt and still added a little bit of melted butter. You can omit the butter if you are watching calories but it does add a lot of flavour. And I added cornstarch to make the waffles crispy. That ingredient can also be omitted.

Overnight Gingerbread Oat Waffles Recipe

Ingredients
2 cups almond milk (or milk of choice)
1 packet yeast
1/2 warm water
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup greek yogurt
1 tbsp. melted butter
1 tsp sweeter of choice I used Splenda
1 cup oat flour
1 cup whole wheat
2 eggs
1 tbsp. pumpkin spice
2 tbsp. hemp hearts (optional)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp. cornstarch

Directions
1)Start by mixing warm water, sweetener and yeast in a bowl.
2)Wait for 10 minutes for yeast to bubble. Add yogurt, melted butter, flours, pumpkin spice, cornstarch, salt. Mix everything.
3)Let rise overnight in the fridge.
4)In the morning, the batter would have risen add whisked eggs, hemp hearts, and baking soda.
5)Spray waffle iron and pour enough batter 3/4 of the way. This batter rises so be prepared for overflow.
6)Enjoy with your favorite syrup and toppings.

Makes 7 waffles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Inspired Life. The homemade foodie. The book junkie. The frugal momma.

Search This Blog

Blog Archive