Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Quinoa No Bake Protein Bars

I see so much pictures of people working out and pictures of their protein bars and being the frugal mama, I can not see myself spending $3 on a protein bar that I know I can make for pennies. I have all the ingredients and I know I can make it taste good and I can make a lot. So basically I came up with this recipe by combining many recipes from the internet. You too can make this by simply adding what you have. You can make it healthier by choosing less sugar products and adding more nuts. I keep my protein bars in the fridge to keep it firm. And since I added chocolate, I cut up mini squares to eat when I'm craving something sweet. I used puffed quinoa which they sell at the health food store and Bulk Barn.  They are basically quinoa but puffed like rice crispies.  If you can't find quinoa puffs, you can substitute oatmeal for the entire recipe.

Quinoa No Bake Protein Bars


 
 
Ingredients
Dry ingredients
1 1/2 cups puffed Quinoa
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup of variety of nuts either almonds,pecans,walnuts
1/3 cup of sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds or both
3 tbsp. chia seeds
3 tbsp. hemp hearts
1/2 cup dried coconut

Wet ingredients
3 tbsp. melted coconut oil
3 tbsp. peanut butter
3 tbsp. almond butter
2 scoops of vanilla whey protein powder
1/2 - 3/4 cup of almond milk

Topping
1/3- 1/2 cup dark chocolate or chocolate chips melted

Directions
1) Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
2) Dissolve protein powder with almond milk. Add rest of wet ingredients to mixture.
3) Mix dry and wet ingredients.
4) Press mixture into a pan lined with wax paper.
5) Pour melted chocolate over mixture.
6) Place in freezer overnight or atleast 2 hours to harden. Remove from freezer and cut into squares.

Keep in fridge in a tight container. These bars are sweet enough for me but if you want it sweeter then add more nut butters. I can't wait to make another batch. Maybe something more tropical!







No comments:

Post a Comment

The Inspired Life. The homemade foodie. The book junkie. The frugal momma.

Search This Blog

Blog Archive