Thursday, January 30, 2014

Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili

I went overboard grocery shopping last week and bought too much vegetables. I hate throwing food out so I came up with this brilliant idea of chili. I thought, maybe I can just toss all these vegetables in a slow cooker and I won't feel bad about tossing anything out. I used textured vegetable protein chunks but you can omit it all together. I seasoned it with Alton Brown's diy taco seasoning. I love my slow cooker and I just clap with glee whenever I get to use it. You can use any combinations of vegetables for this chili.

Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili

Ingredients
4 zucchinis
2 carrots
1 onion
2 tbsp. garlic
1/2 cup TVP
2 bay leaves
2 tomatoes
1 green pepper
1 can crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup chicken stock or water
1/2 cup canned kidney beans

Alton Brown's Taco seasoning
2 tablespoons  chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons hot smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
 
Directions
1)Cut all vegetables. Place in crockpot and add crushed tomatoes,stock,kidney beans.
2)Combine all taco seasoning ingredients. Add seasoning to vegetables in crockpot.
3)Slow cook on low for 6 hrs or high on 4.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea to use the taco mix! Can't wait to try it :-)

    ReplyDelete

The Inspired Life. The homemade foodie. The book junkie. The frugal momma.

Search This Blog

Blog Archive